Electricity & Communication
Taiwan uses electric current of 110 volts at 60 cycles, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer. Many buildings have sockets with 220 volts especially for the use of air conditioners.
- Coin phones accept coins in denominations of NT$1, NT$5, and NT10. For local calls, NT$1 buys one minute of phone time.
- Phone cards are divided into magnetic strip stored value cards and IC stored value cards, and can be used all over Taiwan.
- Magnetic strip cards sell for NT$100 each, and IC cards are available in NT$200 and NT$300 versions. The cards are sold in railway stations, bus stations, scenic spots, and convenience stores.
- When making local calls, it is not necessary to dial the area code; when making long-distance calls, however, the area code of which the recipient stay must be dialed in first (see explanation on the public telephone) and then the recipient's phone number.
- International calls can be made from private cell phones, public IDD phones, or hotel IDD phones. International calls are charged in units of six seconds.
- Call rates。
International E-Call Card
- The procedure for making international direct dial calls from Taiwan is as follows.
- Dial Taiwan's international access code, 002 or 009.
- Dial the country code of the country being called (1 for the U.S., 86 for mainland China, etc.)
- Dial in the area code of the called party (leaving out the long-distance recognition digit, "0")
- Dial in the number of the called party.
- For operator-assisted international calls, please dial "100."
- For international information, call this free number : 0800-080100.
- Reduced price periods and fees for International Subscriber Dialing (ISD) are as follows: 10:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. daily, 12:00 noon Saturday - all day Sunday - 8:00 a.m. Monday, and all day on national holidays.
- Call rates。
- Tourists' Telecom Services Country code and Rate Finder
More information about dialing fees
For reverse charges or credit calls, dial 008 + the communication number for the country being called.
The communication number for the country, as follows :
- Australia : 00801-610-610, 00801-610-061
- Canada : 00801-120-012
- Germany : 00801-490-049
- Hong Kong : 00801-852-111
- Italy : 00801-390-039
- Japan (via KDD) : 00801-810-051, 00801-810-033
- South Korea : 00801-820-820
- Malaysia : 00801-600-060
- Philippines : 00801-630-063, 00801-630-630
- Singapore : 00801-656-565
- England : 00801-440-044
- United States (AT&T) : 00801-102-880
- United States (MCI) : 00801-13-4567(English), 00801-13-9988(Chinese)
Source : Tourism Bureau